Monday 29 April 2013

Rain Scald


A short post today about this condition in horses. This condition is also called dermatophilosis. I also wondered what this meant in my pathology lectures and now I know it is the curious condition called rain scald in horses, which presents in this characteristic pattern. I'll also remember it because my boyfriend said his horse also suffered with it. 

Caused by dermatophilus congolensis. It is a very common and contagious disease. Affects areas commonly/ persistently soaked. More severe in Winter (more rain), resulting in matted hair, adherent crusts with a purulent base (sounds a nasty disease to me. 

The pain is usually only mild. To heal the horse needs to be in a dry environment, the matted hair and crusts need to be removed (apparently the horse really likes this bit), and treated with diluted chlorhexidine antimicrobial washes. Systemic antimicrobials administered in extreme cases. 

(I'm also running for the position of LUVS secretary.. here's to hoping I get it ). :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment