Wednesday 20 March 2013

One of those days...


Today is one of those days where I really don't want to be doing university work. Whilst I find the topic of poultry infectious disease interesting, learning lists of diagnostic tests and trying to understand them is not my idea of fun! Also, outside my window looks pretty boring, grey and to top it all off- rainy.

On the upside, I have a pigeon practical tomorrow which sounds fun. We get to learn the handling and common signs and how the poultry industry works. With wanting to be a small animal vet- I know that I may well get pigeons as clients brought in by the public. Sadly, vets cannot afford to do anything usually other than euthanise the bird.

I also have a meat inspection practical tomorrow. Whilst I will never entertain the idea of working in an abattoir, the this topic is an interesting one. It ties together a thorough knowledge of the pathology I've been learning with the importance of identifying parasites such as Trichinella Spiralis in public health. It does put me off my food for the entire evening, but generally whilst some of the aspects of the vet course are areas I could never imagine myself working in, they do hold a certain degree of fascination.

I also did a bit of reading today, something I never get a chance to do normally. The book I read is called ' The Choice' and is by Nicholas Sparks. It has a vet as one of the lead male roles (bonus!) and if you're a romantic like me you're certain to love the story and I do recommend it.

Linksssss:

Trichinella Information

No comments:

Post a Comment