Monday 25 March 2013

Canine Health Concern



Just a short blog post today. A growing trend which concerns me is how the general public perceive vets and their care of dogs. I've heard a lot recently about the trends in raw feeding, using alternatives to vaccination (nosodes) and the growing concern about the adverse side effects or 'allergies' that dogs seem to be having in reaction to vaccinations. 

I can't say I know very much about these topics, but  what I do know is I want to find out more. Not just that, but it is the duty of the vet to understand the client rather than dismiss their views as nonsense. These sort of questions are what I'm going to be presented with as a vet from the public possibly even from this summer as I start to see practice. I want to be in a position to be able to answer with an unbiased opinion of all the positives and negatives surrounding each controversial topic. As usual, its up to the owner to decide unless it really isn't in the dogs best welfare interests. Therefore I'm going to blog over the next few days or months or even over summer about 

  1. Raw Feeding in dogs.
  2. Homeopathic Medicine.
  3. How often to vaccinate.
  4. The adverse effects of vaccines- is this a growing problem? 
I'm going to get more of an idea when I actually start seeing practice but I think its a good idea to get an opinion before then, and perhaps some other vet students out there not clued up on these topics should think about that too. 

Oh I forgot to add. I'm trying to my dog on a product called 'Plaqueoff' which has good reviews before considering the dental in July, see how she gets on with this before extreme measures are taken. I've also ordered the burns which should be here by the end of the week. Exciting times :)

I'm afraid my blogs may be quite dog oriented.. over and out :)


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I would be interested to read your thoughts on these, but I'm not seeing them on your blog. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MJ R. I'm still formulating opinions to be honest. They're things I need to really read up on still as my time has been a bit limited with my CEMS and stuff. I promise I shall blog at some point on these :).

    ReplyDelete