Monday 15 July 2013

First Day of CEMS

My first day was for definite a mixed bag of cases. What I really learnt is I need to actually carry my notebook around with me to jot down stuff as I really can't remember everything. A quick point before I forget it- an xray for the chest should be ventrodorsal, heart dorsoventral (not sure on this one entirely). The main cases outstanding to me were:
a) Tetralogy of Fallot- a congential heart condition that is pretty rare. Pictured above with the four heart conditions. Found in a nine year old cat- cat was asymptomatic. Seen via ultrasound to diagnose without sedation. Also crosses with the colour doppler machine which can picture blood flow with blue and red streaks. 
b) Cat with respiratory distress. Bronchoalveolar lavage for a sample and xray was performed. Xray showed little donut shapes in the bronchoalveolar pattern. Vets main differential was cat asthma- or an allergy. 
c) Staffy with auricular haematoma- leech therapy was used but didn't work as the leeches wouldn't attach as the owner didn't want a general anaesthetic due to the dog having an aggressive urothelial carcinoma. Drained without sedation with a needle (larger) and syringe. Inner ear aspect. Local pain relief used. 
d) Bulldog- suspected brachycephalic syndrome. Six months old dog with an increasing cough, off food and water especially in hot weather. Given antibiotics and NSAIDS as an injection. 
e) Cat which had a erythrocytosis disorder with too many rbc and a high PCV. Seemed cured via leech therapy. 

Just a documentation of the cases I saw and some of the outcomes to reflect on at a later stage. :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment