Saturday 5 October 2013

So you graduate in 20 months....

20 months may seem like a long time, certainly for a normal degree it isn't even halfway through yet. However, on a five year course which is going FAST- it is really going to be here in no time- what a scary but exhilarating thought. It doesn't seem two minutes since I was walking through the door to the University of Liverpool campus as a fresher- now look where I am... 

I haven't blogged for a while because things have been well- hectic. The other day I celebrated three years with my boyfriend who is also a vet student- I met him in freshers week, and we now live together with my dog near Leahurst Campus. A lot has happened in the last few weeks so I'll try to give you a snippet of my mish mash thoughts at the moment. 

I start my equine buddy weeks next week. We get paired with a fifth year to find our way around for a week so we have some clue before our rotations start in April (yes my last EVER lecture is in March, and I have exams on my BIRTHDAY, how mean is that). I'm a bit scared as equine is my weakest topic and I'm scared of what I'm expected to know. I'm a bit relieved that we get to go in stables in pairs- makes me a bit more confident about the situation knowing I'm not out there on my own. I also have small animal for a week and a farm buddy thing for 2 days. We go at 8am for an hour before lectures and again an hour after lectures. Quite a good system I hope. I have been watching some introductory tour videos- but for those things my memory is really quite a sieve! 

I am also back training my dog BIG HAPPY DANCE at rally training which is a new emerging sport. I've really missed being able to train her and compete with her in competition obedience these past three years as being a student no houses in the Liverpool Centre would allow pets (although I would have actually had more time). She is really good at it, its a fun sport where you follow signs, and a bit more relaxed than Competition Obedience. My heart will always be with competitive obedience but for her, rally is good. She is a little superstar (yes I go on about her a lot sometimes but hey!). I'm a bit worried that when rotations start I won't get a lunchbreak at all to pop home and let her home (5 minute drive away)- nightmare situation really, and one of the major cons of being a vet, or vet student.

I've had lecture weeks in respiratory and cardiology so far. The really interesting ones have been cardiology-the lectures for small animal are intense (15 or so hours worth!), and the ones for farm have been a bit more minimalist. I'm slightly more worried about farm as I don't have the time to do extra reading really. I'll burn out if I try. To give you an idea of my workload so far this year- I go dog training on Tuesday nights (but do an hour or so of work anyway), and generally do about three hours of work every other evening. At weekends I'm still doing about six + hours of work just to keep up with and understand the lecture notes. To do any extra reading is going to be, well, impossible really! I do like farm so maybe it'll just soak into my brain if I can get a bit of reading done sometime. Although I was a bit cheeky this week, I finished at 3 from uni on Thursday and went to Nandos for my anniversary meal! I do like cardiology. Respiratory was interesting too, but didn't leave me with as much knowledge! ECGS for the record, are damned hard (and echo is much better a mon avis). 

I probably have more to write- such as my flat tyre in the first week of university.. but I have more pressing things- like watching Grey's anatomy. Work is done for tonight,  so now it is time to relax and chill. I also bought a gamecube to play Harvest Moon AWL and all the Zelda old games. Not sure when I might have time at the moment though with everything else I try to do.. 

:) 



No comments:

Post a Comment